Vegan Mashed Potato & Cauliflower Recipe with Roasted Peppers & Caramelized Onions
Creamy, without the cream? Lighten it up with a tasty alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
Servings: 6 Cups Total
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/4 lb. cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp almond milk
- 3 oz. GO Veggie! Dairy Free, Vegan Classic Plain Cream Cheese Alternative
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown.
Place cubed potatoes and cauliflower florets in a large saucepan and cover the vegetables with cold water.
Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
Drain the vegetables, return to saucepan and set over medium heat, stirring the potatoes and cauliflower until dry, 1 to 2 minutes.
Using a food mill, potato ricer, hand mixer or potato masher, mash the potatoes with the almond milk to remove the large lumps.
Add the cream cheese to the potatoes and continue to mash until the potatoes are smooth and the cream cheese is incorporated.
Stir the caramelized onions and roasted peppers into the mashed potatoes.
Season with salt and pepper. Serve.