Tomato & Basil Tarts with a Lemon Cream Cheese Filling
Servings: about 8 tarts
Lemon Cream Cheese Ingredients:
- 1 bulb garlic, (2 cloves used)
- ½ cup Go Veggie! Vegan Cream Cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon brown rice syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 4-6 leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 organic tomato, large dice, plus dash sea salt and pepper
- 1 package vegan puff pastry (2 sheets used)
Thaw the puff pastry sheets before using according to the package.
Pre-heat oven to 375°.
To roast garlic, place garlic bulb, with top sliced off, in a heat proof ramekin with a dash of high heat oil. Roast about 30-35 minutes until cloves are soft.
To create lemon cream cheese filling, in a medium bowl, combine 2 cloves smashed roasted garlic, cream cheese, lemon juice, brown rice syrup, sea salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk until uniform. Set aside.
Turn oven up to 425°.
Finely chop the basil and set aside in a bowl. Place tomatoes in a separate bowl and season with sea salt and pepper.
Slice each sheet of puff pastry into 8 or 9 squares.
Fill each puff pastry square with 1 tablespoon cream cheese filling, a pinch of basil and piece tomato. Repeat for all squares. Fold corners to meet in middle.
Place on baking sheet and bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until tarts are golden.
When serving, garnish with fresh basil.