Tofu Chili with GO Veggie! Lactose Free Cheddar Shreds
Chef’s Note: This dish would be great with diced or ground chicken or pork, if desired. Just substitute for the tofu. For a spicier version increase the cayenne to 1 tsp.
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large can tomatoes, diced with their juice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 block tofu, extra firm, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package GO Veggie! Lactose Free Cheddar Shreds
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
In a large saucepot or crock pot heated to medium high, add the oil, garlic and onion. Cook for a few minutes until softened and starting to color. Season as needed with salt.
Add the spices, and cook for about half a minute, to allow the ingredients to become fragrant. Add the tomatoes with their juice and the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer.
Cook for 20-30 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender and the chili is thickened. Add the tofu and half of the package of shreds, stirring to incorporate and continuing to cook for a few minutes to warm the tofu through.
Add the chili to a large casserole or crock pot. Add the rest of the shreds to the top of the chili. Place under a hi broiler until the shreds are melted and lightly browned.