Root Vegetable Gratin
- 3 pounds assorted root vegetables, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices (carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips, turnips, etc)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 cup unsweetened milk alternative like almond milk or coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or gluten free flour)
- 1-1/2 cups GO Veggie! Lactose Free or Dairy Free Cheddar or Mozzarella Flavor Shreds
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons GO Veggie! Dairy Free Grated Parmesan Topping
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Blanch all vegetables (if using beets, cook separately to avoid bleeding) in a large pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes. Drain. Pat Dry.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until light brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the flour and stir into a paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the milk and thyme and simmer to slightly thicken.
Add ½ the cheese and simmer until melted.
Layer the 1/3 of the vegetables in the pan.
Top with remaining cheese.
Repeat two more times.
Pour the milk and cheese mixture over the grain.
Bake the gratin until for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven, top with parmesan and cook for another 5-10 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
Cool for 10-15 minutes and serve.