Mushroom and Shallot Strata
Nutritional information: 320 calories, 16 g fat, 10 g sat fat, 22 g carb, 4g fiber, 15 g protein
- 8 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 pound whole wheat rustic bread (like ciabatta), cut into 1 in cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, peeled, halved and sliced
- 4 cups of mushrooms (cremini, shitake, button, etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons GO Veggie! Lactose Free Grated Parmesan Topping
- 2 cup GO Veggie! Lactose Free Parmesan, Mozzarella & Romano Shreds
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
In a medium sauté pan add the olive oil shallots, mushrooms and thyme.
Allow the vegetables to sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms and shallots are softened.
Season with salt and pepper.
Spray a non-stick 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray and layer everything as follows: one third of the bread cubes, followed by one third of the cooked vegetable mixture, followed by one-third of the cheese mixture. Repeat this layering two more times.
Then, pour the egg and milk mixture over the entire dish, pushing down on the bread so it begins to soak up the liquid.
Cover the dish and chill it in the refrigerator for 4 hours, or up to 24.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Bring the strata to room temperature, then bake it for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and semi-firm.