French Onion Soup with a Cheesy Crouton Topping
Servings: 6 - 8
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy butter
- 3 medium brown onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 cups vegetable broth (low-sodium)
- 1⁄4 cup vegan red wine
- 1 tablespoon light miso paste
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 organic French baguette
- 1 cup shredded vegan GO Veggie! Mozzarella Shredded Cheese
Preheat a large (6-quart) pot. Add butter and sauté onions and garlic over low heat for about 7-10 minutes. Add vegetable broth, red wine, miso, walnuts, sea salt, black pepper, bay leaf, lemon juice and thyme.
Cook partially covered for about 20 minutes at a simmer, or until onions are very tender.
Turn on broiler (high setting preferred).
Slice baguette into 1-inch-thick rounds and set aside.
Ladle soup into heat-tolerant ramekins or cocottes. Place one round of bread on each serving of soup and top with about 2 tablespoons cheese. Place ramekins on a large baking dish with sides and broil for about 2 minutes, or until cheese on top of soup is bubbling.
Serve on an appetizer plate, because ramekins will be very hot!
Note: One container of veggie broth usually has 4 cups, so buy 2 containers if making this recipe! Also, not all red wine is animal-friendly, so to find out if your fave wine is vegan, visit www.barnivore.com, or call the winemaker and ask!