- 2 teaspoons neutral tasting oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 corn tortillas, roughly cut
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz)
- 4 cups organic low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ cup GO Veggie! Dairy Free Mexican Style Shreds
Heat a 6 quart pot over medium heat.
Add oil and sauté onion, and garlic for about 2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Add cut up tortillas and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, beans, sea salt, pepper, chipotle powder, bay leaf, agave, and lime juice.
Add broth and oregano.
Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered for about 10-13 minutes, or until the tortillas are soft.
Remove the bay leaf.
Blend soup in a blender, with middle section of lid removed, to create space for steam to escape.
Place a dish towel over top of blender to prevent spillage. Or blend using an immersion blender.
When soup is blended, add in GO Veggie! Dairy Free Mexican Style Shreds and stir to melt.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve warm.