By Heather & Jenny, Spork Foods, GO Veggie! Chef Ambassadors
When you’re looking to replace dairy in your diet with dairy-free and delicious options, use these 5 tips and you will be on your way to dairy-free bliss!
1. Our first tip when trying to kick the dairy is to look into where dairy comes from and how your glass of milk gets to your table. Once you look at the real story behind drinking milk, you are more inclined to look for alternatives. For some great info on why milk doesn't “do a body good,” go HERE!
2. There is a wide array of non-dairy milk options on the market that taste amazing with cereal, or can be use in any recipe to replace dairy. Our favorite is almond milk, because it has a rich flavor, it’s high in potassium, cholesterol free and fortified with vitamins E and D, so you get all the nutrients you would from dairy milk, without the cow!
3. We need bagels and cream cheese in our lives. It’s not even up for debate. If you’re looking for a non-dairy cream cheese, then GO Veggie! has you covered. These cream cheeses are so rich, smooth and taste so good on a bagel, no one will go back to dairy cream cheese after trying the non-dairy version. The Chive and Garlic flavor also works great as a spread in sandwiches and wraps, and for a super quick snack, we just cut up a cuke and put a little of the cream cheese on. Easy and delish.
4. One simple sandwich swap is to get some avocado, and use it to add richness to your veggie sandwich. We’re not saying that avocados taste like cheese, we’re just saying that they do the trick to giving that sandwich or veggie burger the rich, creamy addition that you may crave when ditching the dairy. Avocados are super high in fiber, vitamin K, and carotenoids and their health benefits are superb, so eat up!
5. Our last tip is to look into dairy alternatives, which are made from plant sources. They may not have the exact melt and texture that dairy has, but that is because plants don’t have the same concentration of cholesterol as dairy – and that’s a good thing! When you are avoiding dairy, you may have cravings for a few weeks, because you body was addicted to cheese, but once you find the alternatives that work for you – you will be happy and healthy. We even sneak some GO Veggie! Dairy Free Parmesan into an Italian restaurant, because it makes pasta better. Try it and let us know what you think.